Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dribble Specs in the Piano Studio? Yes, Please!

This post has been revised, updated, and expanded, and is now available at my new blog at MelodyPayne.com. Please CLICK HERE to read the new post. 

**********
This post is dedicated to students around the world who just can't help but look at their hands to be sure they are playing the correct note, on every single beat!

It's so tempting. Just like a decadent piece of extra dark, smooth, silky, melty chocolate. Extremely tempting, and very satisfying as well!

To what am I referring? Students who love to look at their hands as they play every note! Students whose heads bob up and down like they are watching a kangaroo on a pogo stick. 

Thanks to a super idea from a wonderful friend of mine (Yay, Heidi!) who knows a lot more about basketball than I do, and whose daughter is taking Skype piano lessons with me, here's a new way to help students learn to trust themselves to look at the page as they play the piano while reading the score. 

Check out these "Unique Dribble Specs" (which I purchased at amazon.com). My awesome student Tyler was kind enough to demonstrate their use in his piano lesson last week. Check out the glasses in his photo above. Do you see the wide black bottom rim? The wide bottom rim prevents basketball players from looking at their hands as they dribble. The wide rim blocks their view of their own hands so they learn to trust themselves and dribble by feel. So, why not use Dribble Specs in piano lessons? 

Check out Tyler in the two photos below. You can see that the glasses (which are rubber and do not have any lenses in them) prevent Tyler from seeing his hands without bending his neck to an almost 90-degree angle. That makes looking at his hands extremely cumbersome, so he trusts himself to play the correct notes, peeking only if his hands change positions, and his accuracy improves like magic! 

Ta-Da! 





Do you have any piano lesson magic tricks up your sleeve? If so, please share a comment below!







4 comments:

  1. Holy cow! Thank you so much! I cover their hands with a book and I'm sure their parents aren't doing that at home. What an awesome idea. Thank you...Amazon here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Kelly! I can't take full credit for it because it was my friend Heidi who told me about the glasses. I didn't even know they existed until recently! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! A great way to incorporate a tool in a different fashion. Brilliant idea for lots of things that require memory and motion. Thanks!

    http://pianosheetmusiconline.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mark! My students have been enjoying trying the glasses in their lessons :)

    ReplyDelete