Monday, August 26, 2013

Transform Your Studio Space on a Budget, Part 3: Getting the Most Bang for Your Buck


Today's post is about saving money while doing a music studio makeover. If you haven't read the first two posts, you might be interested in reading the first one here, and the second one here.

When I began planning my studio space makeover, I knew I wanted to stay within a specific budget. That meant being smart as a shopper. What kinds of things did I do to save money? Here goes!

T.J.Maxx

My first shopping trip was to T.J.Maxx. I had made a list that included several items from my Home Office/Studio Pinterest board (storage baskets, curtains, rugs, pillows, flowers, artwork), basically anything on my board since this was my first shopping trip for this project. What did I find?

  • A great basket with a lid for storing flash cards and other items
  • White curtains for the windows and built-in bookshelves {Bonus money-saving tip: I bought fabric shower curtains and cut them to fit the space}
  • A rug to place under the piano pedals
  • Some clearance vases that had a great shape and texture, but were the wrong color. {Bonus money-saving tip: Add spray paint, and I was able to add some pops of color to the makeover for very little money: $3 for two of the pieces, $4 for the other two, and a can of spray paint for about $4.}
  • Fabric to recover my ottoman. I saw this beautiful pillow in this fabric on Etsy and fell in love with it, but when I found it on a fabric website, I discovered the price was too steep for my budget. In T.J.Maxx, I came across...you guessed it...another fabric shower curtain that had a similar look to the more expensive fabric. I bought 2. {Bonus money-saving tip: fabric shower curtains can be much cheaper than purchasing fabric by the yard!}


Etsy.com

My next shopping trip was on Etsy.com. I still needed pillow covers because I didn't find any in T.J.Maxx. If you want to see all the lovely items I added to my list of favorites, click here. There were so many beautiful pillow covers in my color scheme to choose from! I finally narrowed it down to my top 5. Then I had an idea. I found a tutorial on Pinterest for making no-sew pillow covers. I decided to do this and save more money! Instead of paying anywhere from $18 to $26 or more for each pillow cover, I purchased 1/2 yard of fabric for each pillow cover and paid about $5.50 for the 1/2 yard, plus a little more for shipping. I was able to make 4 pillow covers and two pieces of art for about $33. Huge money saver. I already had the pillows, so that saved even more money. {Bonus money-saving tip: Making your own pillow covers and other items in your makeover saves money!} 


Home Depot

Next I stopped at Home Depot to purchase some high-heat paint for the fireplace. I could have purchased the high-heat paint in a spray, but I wasn't about to spray paint anything inside my home. I opted for the brush-on paint and decided it was worth it to pay a bit more for it ($15 vs. $5). Our mantel  was "petite" to say the least, and I wanted to beef it up a little. We had a piece of moulding left from a previous project, so I cut it with our mitre saw and box and added the correct angles to the corners so they looked nice. The moulding was very light-weight, so I applied it to the mantel using Command Strips (another idea I read about on Pinterest). Seriously, how did we ever do anything before Pinterest? :)




MUCH better than the brass insert with weird wooden handles and the very thin mantel, don't you think? Cleaner, more modern, and much more pleasing to the eye. Fireplace makeover for $15. Can't beat that. 

Lowe's

Lowe's was my next stop. I had seen this rug, this rug, and this rug, as well as many others, but those were the ones I thought would work best in the space. I purchased a 6x9 gray indoor-outdoor rug at Lowe's for $18 plus tax. I taped it with painter's tape and masking tape we already had, and I painted it with paint I had left from another project. Here are a few photos.   




I'm extremely happy with how things are coming together in the space. The studio already looks so much brighter, happier, and warmer. 

If you are okay with doing a lot of things yourself, you can save a ton of money. If not, you'll have to pay more, but purchasing things you don't have to work on will save you some time and effort. I am a DIY kind of gal, and I was up for the challenge of making pillow covers, spray painting vases, and painting an area rug. It took several days, but it was worth it to me and to our bottom line. {Bonus money-saving tip: You might have things around your house that you aren't using. Do you have a table cloth or fabric shower curtain you could convert into pillow covers or artwork? Look around you and think of all the money you can save.} 

The next time I write about this makeover, I will be revealing the makeover results. Stay tuned!

If you know someone who is interested in a budget-friendly studio makeover, use the sharing buttons on the left or pin the image below to share this article! 




2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the final results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leia! I'm looking forward to revealing them! ��

    ReplyDelete