Thursday, August 22, 2013

Transform Your Studio Space on a Budget, Part 2: Pinterest, Etsy, and What Not to Wear



In the first post in this series, I gave you a little background about my studio space and showed some pictures of the space before we painted all the wood paneling. I also included the official "Before Pics" of the space.

In this post, I want to talk about what I wanted the space to become and where I found inspiration.

The Space

As I mentioned in the previous post, the studio space looked okay, but I knew it could look and feel so much better. Here's a reminder of how part of the space looked before the makeover.


The only windows in this space were on the wall that would be behind you if you were actually standing in the room in the above photo. That, coupled with the brown furniture, navy blue rug, wooden bookshelves, brown brick fireplace, and black piano, made the space feel very dark and cold.

Pinterest

I wanted it to feel bright, cheerful, welcoming, warm, and cozy. So that's what I had in mind when I created a new board on Pinterest: Home Office/Studio. If you start at the bottom of the board, you can see the things I searched for and the order in which I pinned them.



I think pinning things on Pinterest and daydreaming have a lot in common. Think about how your thoughts wander in no particular direction when daydreaming. You may have nothing in particular to think about, but your thoughts ebb and flow. That's how it was when pinning for this project. I didn't have any particular look in mind (other than warm and cozy like I mentioned before), so I just pinned things along a topic until I saw something else I wanted to search for.

The Color Palate

How did I decide which colors to use? Red is my favorite, and I had a few red accents in the studio (pillow, lamp, etc.), but the darkness of the room was just too dark to support the red. I needed something brighter and lighter. As I pinned and pinned home office organization ideas, I came across the gray and yellow combination. Hmmm... Perfect! It's light, bright, cozy, warm, cheerful, and welcoming! Perfect! Now I had something concrete to go on. Most of the Pinterest searches after that included the words "yellow" and/or "gray" in them.

Etsy

I found several things on Pinterest that I loved, and it just so happened that they were for sale on Etsy. That led me to much more searching, pinning, favoriting, and falling more in love with my plan. More about the Etsy process in a future makeover post on saving money...

What Not to Wear

Have you seen the makeover show on TLC called "What Not to Wear"? It's a great show! I'll spare you the details, but I'll share with you one important nugget of information that Clinton and Stacy say all the time. The four things that make a great outfit are: Color, Pattern, Texture, and Shine. In addition to applying that formula to my wardrobe, I am also applying that nugget to my studio makeover. I hope you'll be able to spot the items with color, pattern, texture, and shine in the "after" pictures :)

Are you ready to begin your own studio makeover yet? Choose colors that complement the space you have, consider the amount of natural light that is available, think about the mood you want to set, and choose colors that will make you and your students feel happy to be in the space. Be sure to take some "before" photos, and dream big on your Pinterest board!

Stay tuned for the next installment of this series: money-saving tips as you begin shopping for your makeover.

Know someone who would be interested in a budget-friendly studio makeover? Use the sharing buttons on the left or pin the image below to let them know about this article!




2 comments:

  1. We are getting ready to build a house and move my studio into the basement and grey is my color! I've always loved the grey/yellow combo. I also love blues and even more so, greens sprinkled in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a fun job ahead of you! Congratulations on building the new house, and I can't wait to hear more about your new studio!

    ReplyDelete