Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Transform Your Studio Space on a Budget, Part 1: BEFORE the Before Pics


I've been waiting three years to do this piano studio makeover. Before I tell you about it, let me fill you in on a little background so you get the full picture of what I'm dealing with here.

My husband and I got married three years ago this month. When we got engaged in May 2010, I resigned from my faculty position because we were relocating from Mississippi to Southwest Virginia. The week following our wedding, we loaded the moving truck and traveled to our new home in Virginia. Not only did we combine two entire households, we also added the contents from my university office, where I had been on the music faculty for several years. Needless to say, we had a LOT of stuff to organize!

When we moved into this 1970's house, it was a combination of wood paneling and white painted drywall. We immediately got to work on making it suit our style. After tons of Craiglist sales, Goodwill donations, and organizing and reorganizing, things finally started coming together in our home.

Here's what my home studio space looked like as we were preparing to paint it a couple of years ago. These are the BEFORE the "before pics". All we had done to the space at this point was replace the ceiling fans. The windows in the first photo are the only windows in the space. The built-in bookshelves were part of the reason we knew this would work as a wonderful studio space.






It's a pretty dark space, but once we painted the walls a warm light beige (Sherwin-Williams "Kilim Beige"), it lightened up quite a bit and the space seemed larger as well! 

I quickly realized that the studio was becoming the space for all the accessories that wouldn't "fit" in any other room in the house. I was okay with how it looked, but I knew it could look so much better. Here are the official "before" pictures, taken last week before I began this makeover. Not all of them are at the exact same angle as the pictures above, but photos 1-3 above are approximately the same as photos 1-3 below, and then photo 4 above is different from photos 4-5 below.  






The next part of this series will show you how I began planning the makeover and how Pinterest has been indispensable throughout this process. See you soon!

Know someone who would enjoy these articles? Use the sharing buttons on the left or pin the image below to let them know about this budget-friendly series!




No comments:

Post a Comment