Monday, July 23, 2012

The Great Sight-Reading Challenge!

Summer lessons are wrapping up this week! Already! I can hardly believe it. There is a three-week break between the end of my summer session and the beginning of the fall semester, and I wanted to have my students do something beneficial and easy to ensure they spend at least a little time at the piano during the break. I created "The Great Sight-Reading Challenge" to give them some motivation and to challenge them to read three pieces or sight-reading flash cards/exercises each day that they are at the piano between now and August 13. I had forgotten the name of Jenny's "Summer Sightreading Challenge" when I named mine, so I hope she doesn't mind the very similar-sounding title :)

Objectives:
  • To encourage my students to become better sight-readers
  • To challenge my students to practice their sight-reading skills during our break
  • To have my students sight-read 40 items during the next three weeks (brief version)
  • To have my students sight-read 240 items during the next 16 weeks (semester version)
Ages:
  • Any age!
Levels:
  • Beginners through advanced students will benefit from this challenge
Materials:
  • The Great Sight-Reading Challenge sheet
  • Colored pencils, crayons, or markers
  • Lots of appropriately-leveled sight-reading materials
Instructions:
  • Print out The Great Sight-Reading Challenge sheet below.
  • Have students sight-read 3 pieces/selections/items each day for at least 5 days per week.
  • For each 3 pieces they sight-read, they should color one star on the sheet.
  • They are sight-reading 3 selections during their lessons this week to get a head start on the challenge!



For more sight-reading posts: 




**Updated version is now called "Sight-Read Like A Rockstar" and can be purchased at the following shop:
TeachersPayTeachers

No comments:

Post a Comment